H) St Saviour’s @Holy Trinity
It was felt by the settlers that a Church should be built in the centre of the town and Holy Trinity Church was built from green wood in 1852. However it quickly became too unsafe to use as the timber dried and was demolished in 1857.
By 10 April 1860 a new stone church was consecrated. Built by Edward Morey of red volcanic stone from the hills near Lyttelton and sandstone from Quail Island, it was the first stone Anglican church built in Canterbury. It incorporated steel and timber, including some from the previous church. The interior featured plaster stucco and stained matai, with totara and pine seats. Sadly it was destroyed in the 2011 earthquakes though a major effort was made to rescue many original stained glass windows, timbers and items including the full church Organ and pipes.
St. Saviours chapel was originally located in Lyttelton West and was built as a seafarers’ church in 1885, it was designed in sections by Cyril Mountefort. Robert Falcon Scott, his crews from Discovery and Terra Nova, and generations of seafarers worshipped here.
After years of falling rolls in 1976 the church was moved, in sections, over Evans Pass to Cathedral Grammar School, Christchurch. Its altar is in Scott Base’s Chapel of the Snows in Antarctica.
In 2013 St Saviours chapel came home to Lyttelton over Dyers pass in three sections and was re-erected on the Trinity site adding the rescued stained glass windows and organ.
Next to the church stands The Mariners bell tower houses the Seafarers bell brought over from England in the 1800's and rescued from the earthquake damaged church in 2011.
Photographs from and further information http://www.lytteltonmuseum.co.nz/st-saviours-at-holy-trinity
For more Historic Sites, download the Lyttelton - Antarctic Brochure & Heritage of Lyttelton Harbour Brochure